"Sichuan peppercorns, star anise and tomatoes are the secret ingredients that make this soup an intoxicating combination of aromatic spices and hearty comfort food." - Marion Grasby.
The ingredient of Taiwanese beef noodle soup
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 4cm-piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh red birdseye chillies, coarsely chopped, plus extra, to serve (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (see tips)
- 250ml (1 cup) Chinese cooking wine
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 2L (8 cups) salt-reduced beef stock
- 6 bunches baby pak choy, washed, halved
- 270g dried udon noodles
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped coriander, to serve
The instruction how to make Taiwanese beef noodle soup
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef generously with salt. Cook, in batches, for 6-7 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and Sichuan peppercorns to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the Chinese cooking wine and simmer, scraping the base of the pan to dislodge any cooked-on bits, for 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Return beef to pan, along with tomato, star anise, dark soy sauce, soy sauce and stock. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender and pulls apart when tested with a fork.
- Remove pan from heat. Use tongs to carefully transfer beef to a bowl, keeping it in large chunks. Strain the soup into a clean saucepan. Discard solids. Return the beef to the strained soup. Add the pak choy and cook for 2 minutes or until just wilted.
- Cook the noodles following packet directions and divide among serving bowls. Top with pak choy and ladle over the soup and beef pieces. Sprinkle with the coriander and extra chilli, if you like.
Nutritions of Taiwanese beef noodle soupfatContent: 623.073 calories
saturatedFatContent: 25 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 53 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 44 grams protein